MBN 2022 Course Notebook
Congratulations to the Class of 2022!
Recordings for Managing by Network 2022 will be available until June 17, 2022.
Materials, resources, and homework posted below will be available for one year after the course ends (until June 2023).
Questions? Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
MbN Wrap Up
Complete the Course Evaluation and submit remaining Self-study for credit during Study Hall 4: June 6 - 17.
Complete the Course Evaluation
- Please complete the Managing by Network Evaluation by June 17. Your feedback is important to the Academy and to our federal cohosts!
Attendance and Course Completion
- Participants who have attended 10 or more live webinars will receive a certificate of completion as an official record of 36 hours of training.
- Participants who present a Case Study are awarded a certificate with honors.
- Participants who attend or complete 15 or more webinars (attend a minimum of 10 live and complete live or self-study up to 15) are awarded a certificate with honors.
- Participants have until June 17th to submit-self-study for credit towards an honors certificate.
- Participants will receive a certificate of completion in mid-July, after the final self-study period ends and evaluations have been submitted.
- Your certificate is your official record of completion for this course and may be presented to receive 3 Continuing Education Units for Managing by Network. (1 CEU per 10 hours of instruction).
- Participants may receive 2 undergraduate college credits for Managing by Network, based on a rate of 15 instructional hours per credit. Undergraduate credits are certified by Shepherd University, WV. Contact email@example.com for more information.
Recordings will be posted in the archives by 2PM ET the Friday following each week's Session. Click on the Session to access the recording from that page.
MBN 2022 Course Materials Archive
Agency Perspectives on Partnership and Community Collaboration Session recordings are provided for MbN 2022 course participant self-study. Password is the same as for webinars. ALPHA ( recording of USFWS guest speakers ) USFWS, Natalie Sexton, Chief, Human Dimensions...
Presentations: Introductions: Getting to Know You (PDF) Course Overview (PDF) A Look at Competencies: Spotlight on Accountability (PDF) President Biden Administration Leadership (PDF) Session 1 Recording : GAMMA webinar Session recordings are...
Presentations: MbN 2022 Orientation (PDF) MbN 2022 Welcome Packet (PDF) Fun Fact: The iconic bridge used in our Academy materials is the Boulder Bridge in Rock Creek Park, Washington DC. Instructors: Anne Desmarais and Jane Hanson
Participating in MBN 2022
Course Learning Objectives
Applying knowledge and skills learned in this course, participants will be able to:
- strengthen an internal and external network of individuals and organizations to advance the mission of the agency;
- build trust with partners and stakeholders using a professional skill set of 22 competencies;
- demonstrate professional competence in applying best practices for partnership and community collaboration with partners, stakeholders and the public;
- apply social science concepts and practices to support relevance and resilience in partnering and collaboration;
- recognize the relationship between sunshine laws including the Paperwork Reduction Act and the Federal Advisory Committee Act to build accountability and trust between public agencies or organizations and their partners, stakeholders, and the public.
MBN Webinar Groups
Each of the 17 course sessions is offered four times as a live, 2-hour webinar. Course participants are assigned to one of the four webinar cohorts (Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta) based on their day and time preference, as indicated on their application.
To support interaction and peer learning, each webinar will be hosted in a virtual classroom with 25-30 participants.
We anticipate schedule conflicts and participants may use the “flex option” to attend any one of the four webinars in any given week, as best suits their schedule.
- Wednesday, ALPHA cohort: 11AM Eastern, 10AM Central, 9AM Mountain, 8AM Pacific, 7AM Alaska, 6AM Hawaii
- Wednesday, BETA cohort: 2PM Eastern, 1PM Central, 12PM Mountain, 11AM Pacific, 10AM Alaska, 9AM Hawaii
- Thursday, GAMMA cohort: 11AM Eastern, 10AM Central, 9AM Mountain, 8AM Pacific, 7AM Alaska, 6AM Hawaii
- Thursday, DELTA cohort: 2PM Eastern, 1PM Central, 12PM Mountain, 11AM Pacific, 10AM Alaska, 9AM Hawaii
Because the Academy observes Daylight Saving Time, class times will change accordingly in March.
Check the Course Roster for your assigned group.
Webinar Best Practices
Log in 5-10 minutes early to troubleshoot any technical difficulties.
Webinars start and end on the hour.
Audio will be automatically muted when you join the classroom.
Instructors invite participation by calling on all participants. You may respond or pass the question to another attendee.
Set Yourself Up for Success:
Close your email, turn off notifications.
Put a “do not disturb” sign on your door.
The chat box is a “judgment free zone.” Comments with typos and spelling errors are welcome.
Let the instructor know if you have to be in listening mode due to background noise or other competing interests.
Photo and Video Use in the Classroom
Classroom Use of Photos
- During webinars, we use a photo roster to facilitate discussion.
- The photo roster provides participants with information such as your name, agency, job title, work unit, and city and state.
- We will not publicly post or use photos for any other purpose without your written permission.
- If you prefer not to use a personal photo, please send an alternate image to use in the classroom.
Classroom Use of Video
- On camera participation is not required for this course.
- We understand that many participants join from sites with limited bandwidth.
- Because live video feed can significantly impact the quality of online instruction, we use it selectively.
- During class discussion and breakout sessions, participants are welcome to appear on camera.
Joining Class in Webex
Accessing Webinar Links:
- Webinar links will be posted on a private page for course participants.
- Weekly email reminders for class will always include a link to this page.
- Participants may subscribe to the webinar group calendar posted on this page.
Tips for logging in:
- For the best experience, log in from your desktop or laptop.
- If you have a VPN, close it before joining.
- If you're logging in from a mobile device, download Cisco Webex Meetings.
- Audio is integrated with Webex. You may automatically join audio through your computer.
- A call in number and access code are provided, if needed.
- If you are joining audio using a separate phone line, join Webex first, and note your attendee ID for calling in. This will allow you to join breakout rooms.
- Is WebEx asking for an admin password? Your local firewall is blocking access to the software. Contact your IT Help Desk for assistance. Click on the link to “join by browser" to gain access to the webinar this week.
- Did you select the right link? Sessions are offered at multiple days and times. Choose the link for the day and time you plan to attend.
- We will make every effort to bring you into the classroom. Please call into the webinar so we can help you log in.
- Presentations are posted as PDFs at the Course Notebook so you can download and follow along with audio until technical glitches are resolved.