- How do you unlock community talents to better address a community’s current and future needs?
- How can you support decision making for “wicked problems” that are mired in controversy, polarity, and argument?
- How do you connect your agency’s mission to community needs like rural jobs, youth engagement, and minority participation?
Moving Back to the People: Understanding Asset Based Community Development will explore how to engage communities in a journey of discovery to find hidden assets, strengths and resources. ABCD uses a range of methods to connect with individuals and stakeholder groups, and to uncover community assets and opportunities.
By focusing on people – hidden treasures who can help the community thrive - ABCD reframes the conversation from problems to possibilities.
Learn how to encourage community members to see what your agency has to offer.
Presented by John Titre, District Staff Officer, Wilderness, Trails, Recreation, Lands & Special Uses, Coronado National Forest from the U.S. Forest Service.
This link will open in a new window. Select the "Playback" button to start the WebEx Network Recording Player in a separate application.
This webinar was recorded on October 26, 2017
- Moving Back to the People: Understanding Asset Based Community Development (PDF)
- What is Appreciative Inquiry? (video, 10 minutes)
- ABCD guiding principles and key assets from Neighborhood Transformation
- Videos, toolkits, and links from Asset Based Community Development Institute of DePaul University
- Training modules on ABCD, asset mapping and appreciative inquiry (Modules 2-9, Unite for Sight)
- Conducting a Community Assessment from Strengthening NonProfits
- Assessing Community Needs and Resources from Community Toolbox
- Asset Mapping from the UCLA Center for Health Policy Research
- Free E-BOOK on ABCD Asset Mapping Toolkit from Clear Impact, the Asset Based Community Development Institute at Northwestern University
- NAAEE Community Engagement: Guidelines for Excellence