Making Meetings Work with Liz Madison, 11 mins; podcast available
A Facilitator's Best Practices with Anne Desmarais, 18 mins; podcast available
Deeper Dive: Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA) (CC) with Karen Simms, 28 mins; podcast available
Blog: What's the FACA? Federal Advisory Committee Act by Peter Williams, PhD
(1) NPS RTCA Community Toolbox: Facilitation Tools
(3) The Community Toolbox: Facilitation resources
(4) Enabling Change: CoCreate: A Facilitator’s Guide to Collaborative Planning
Optional Homework: Self-Assessment
Complete one of the two facilitation core competency self-assessments below. The IAF competencies are more focused on concrete meeting and group management practices, while the National College framework (shared in class) focuses on facilitator behaviors that demonstrate social-emotional intelligence.
- Facilitator Core Competencies_IAF.docx Self-Assessment (based on IAF)
- Facilitation Competency Framework_National College UK.docx Self-Assessment (based on National College, UK)
Optional Homework: Facilitation Tools
- REVIEW: Creative Facilitation Tools MbN 2018 (PDF)
- EXERCISE: Select one of these methods to use at an upcoming meeting and prepare for the meeting to introduce this tool.
- Why did you select this tool?
- Do you need to coordinate with the group or the meeting coordinator in advance?
- Do you need support materials to use this tool?
- What objectives(s) for the group will this tool support?
- How might using this tool change the attitudes and behaviors of meeting participants?
- APPLY: Test this facilitation tool at the meeting and then reflect on what went well (WWW) and what would you do differently (WWYDD).
Liz Madison, Director
Anne Desmarais, Assistant Director
Peter Williams, PhD, Associate Direcgtor
Karen Simms, Former Assistant Field Manager, Gila District, Tucson Field Office, BLM, (video instructor)