MBN 2021 Course Notebook
The Course Notebook is provided as a resource as you apply knowledge and skills gained in class.
This page will be updated throughout the course. Check back each week for new assignments.
Session 14: Change Your Tack - May 19 & 20
- Read the Capacity Building for Collaboration Case Study: A Case Study on Building and Sustaining Landscape-Scale Stewardship Networks in the 21st Century by Leigh Goldberg (26 pgs, PDF)
- Sustaining Partnerships and Community Collaboratives & The Partnership Impact Model
- Capacity Building for Collaboration Case Study - Executive Summary and additional resources
- Partnership Impact Model and One Tam resources, including:
Partnership Impact Model - Executive Summary trifold brochure (PDF)
Generating, Scaling Up and Sustaining Impact report - PIM application (PDF)
- Managing Public Lands for Impact and Sustainability - 6 steps of partnership formation (PDF)
- One Tam case studies
- Entrepreneurship and Risk Assessment
Instructors: Leigh Goldberg, Liz Madison and Anne Desmarais
On the Horizon:
Session 15: May 26 or 27 - Reflect on the Journey
- MbN 2021 Case Studies
- Visioning and Strategic Thinking: What's Possible Now
Course materials listed with this arrow icon are recommended for self-study when you miss a webinar.
MBN 2021 Course Materials Archive
Session 3 Recording (Beta webinar) Recordings are password protected and restricted to MBN 2021 course participants. Password is the same as for our webinars. Click the Play arrow (>) at the bottom to start the video. Click the people and chat icons to view who's in class and chat box...
Session 2 Recording (Beta webinar w/ BLM guests; see below for other guest speakers) Recordings are password protected and restricted to MBN 2021 course participants. Password is the same as for our webinars. Click the Play arrow (>) at the bottom to start the video. Click the people and...
Session 1 Recording This recording is password protected and restricted to MBN 2021 course participants. Password is the same as for our webinars. Click the Play arrow (>) at the bottom to start the video. Click the people and chat icons to view who's in class and chat box...
Presentations: MbN 2021 Orientation Need help joining with audio? See this additional resource from WebEx. Fun Fact: The iconic bridge featured on our Tech Test title slide is Boulder Bridge, from Rock Creek Park in Washington DC.
Participating in MBN 2021
Course Learning Objectives
Applying knowledge and skills learned in this course, participants will be able to:
- strengthen an internal and external network of individuals and organizations to advance the mission of the agency;
- build trust with partners and stakeholders using a professional skill set of 22 competencies;
- demonstrate professional competence in applying best practices for partnership and community collaboration with partners, stakeholders and the public;
- apply social science concepts and practices to support relevance and resilience in partnering and collaboration;
- recognize the relationship between sunshine laws including the Paperwork Reduction Act and the Federal Advisory Committee Act to build accountability and trust between public agencies or organizations and their partners, stakeholders, and the public.
MBN Webinar Groups
Each of the 17 course sessions is offered four times as a live, 2-hour webinar. Course participants are assigned to one of the four webinar cohorts (Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta) based on their day and time preference, as indicated on their application.
To support interaction and peer learning, each webinar will be hosted in a virtual classroom with 25-30 participants.
We anticipate schedule conflicts and participants may use the “flex option” to attend any one of the four webinars in any given week, as best suits their schedule.
- Wednesday, ALPHA cohort: 11AM Eastern, 10AM Central, 9AM Mountain, 8AM Pacific, 7AM Alaska, 6AM Hawaii
- Wednesday, BETA cohort: 2PM Eastern, 1PM Central, 12PM Mountain, 11AM Pacific, 10AM Alaska, 9AM Hawaii
- Thursday, GAMMA cohort: 11AM Eastern, 10AM Central, 9AM Mountain, 8AM Pacific, 7AM Alaska, 6AM Hawaii
- Thursday, DELTA cohort: 2PM Eastern, 1PM Central, 12PM Mountain, 11AM Pacific, 10AM Alaska, 9AM Hawaii
Because the Academy observes Daylight Saving Time, class times will change accordingly in March.
Check the Course Roster for your assigned group.
Rules of Engagement
- Log in 5-10 minutes early to troubleshoot any technical difficulties.
- Webinars start and end on the hour.
- Audio will be automatically muted when you join the classroom.
- Instructors invite participation by calling on all participants. You may respond or pass the question to another attendee.
Set Yourself Up for Success:
- Eliminate distractions.
- Close your email, turn off notifications.
- Put a “do not disturb” sign on your door.
- The chat box is a “judgment free zone.” Comments with typos and spelling errors are welcome.
- Let the instructor know if you have to be in listening mode due to background noise or other competing interests.
Photo and Video Use in the Classroom
Classroom Use of Photos
- During webinars, we use a photo roster to facilitate discussion.
- The photo roster provides participants with information such as your name, agency, job title, work unit, and city and state.
- We will not publicly post or use photos for any other purpose without your written permission.
- If you prefer not to use a personal photo, please send an alternate image to use in the classroom.
Classroom Use of Video
- On camera participation is not required for this course.
- We understand that many participants join from sites with limited bandwidth.
- Because live video feed can significantly impact the quality of online instruction, we use it selectively.
- During class discussion and breakout sessions, participants are welcome to appear on camera.
- To ensure equity of instruction, live video may be discontinued if it impacts course access for participants.
Joining Class in Webex
Accessing Webinar Links:
- Webinar links will be posted on a private page for course participants.
- Weekly email reminders for class will always include a link to this page.
- Participants may subscribe to the webinar group calendar posted on this page.
Tips for logging in:
- For the best experience, log in from your desktop or laptop.
- If you have a VPN, close it before joining.
- If you're logging in from a mobile device, download Cisco Webex Meetings.
- Audio is integrated with Webex. You may automatically join audio through your computer.
- A call in number and access code are provided, if needed.
- If you are joining audio using a separate phone line, join Webex first, and note your attendee ID for calling in. This will allow you to join breakout rooms.
- Is WebEx asking for an admin password? Your local firewall is blocking access to the software. Contact your IT Help Desk for assistance. Click on the link to “join by browser" to gain access to the webinar this week.
- Did you select the right link? Sessions are offered at multiple days and times. Choose the link for the day and time you plan to attend.
- We will make every effort to bring you into the classroom. Please call into the webinar so we can help you log in.
- Presentations are posted as PDFs at the Course Notebook so you can download and follow along with audio until technical glitches are resolved.