MBN 2021 Course Notebook
The Course Notebook is provided as a resource as you apply knowledge and skills gained in class.
This page will be updated throughout the course. Check back each week for updates and assignments.
December 1: Academy begins to notify applicants of their status.
December 1-31: Participants selected for National Scholarship seats confirm their availability. Participants selected for Open Seats confirm their availability and work unit funding. Alternates for scholarship or open seats may be invited into the class if a seat becomes available.
Getting Ready for MBN 2021
Class Preparation Checklist
- Confirm your participation for this course. If you are unable to attend this training, please let us know as soon as possible.
- Submit your photo using the confirmation form, or send it to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 8, 2021.
- Complete the Individual Training Needs Assessment by January 29, 2021.
- Gete ready to learn. View your group assignment on the Course Roster (link coming soon) and view the 2021 Schedule.
- Add us to your contact list. Webinar links will be sent via email form email@example.com.
- Join us for the Tech Test January 13 & 14, 2021. This will be a one-hour session.
Photo and Video Use in the Classroom
Classroom Use of Photos
- During webinars, we use a photo roster to facilitate discussion.
- The photo roster provides participants with information such as your name, agency, job title, work unit, and city and state.
- We will not publicly post or use photos for any other purpose without your written permission.
- If you prefer not to use a personal photo, please send an alternate image to use in the classroom.
Classroom Use of Video
- On camera participation is not required for this course.
- We understand that many participants join from sites with limited bandwidth.
- Because live video feed can significantly impact the quality of online instruction, we minimize its use.
- During class discussion and breakout sessions, participants are welcome to appear on camera.
- To ensure equity of instruction, live video may be discontinued if it impacts course access for participants.
MBN Webinar Groups
Each of the 17 course sessions is offered four times as a live, 2-hour webinar. Course participants are assigned to one of the four webinar cohorts (Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta) based on their day and time preference, as indicated on their application.
To support interaction and peer learning, each webinar will be hosted in a virtual classroom with 25-30 participants.
We anticipate schedule conflicts and participants may use the “flex option” to attend any one of the four webinars in any given week, as best suits their schedule.
- Wednesday, ALPHA cohort: 11AM Eastern, 10AM Central, 9AM Mountain, 8AM Pacific, 7AM Alaska, 6AM Hawaii
- Wednesday, BETA cohort: 2PM Eastern, 1PM Central, 12PM Mountain, 11AM Pacific, 10AM Alaska, 9AM Hawaii
- Thursday, GAMMA cohort: 11AM Eastern, 10AM Central, 9AM Mountain, 8AM Pacific, 7AM Alaska, 6AM Hawaii
- Thursday, DELTA cohort: 2PM Eastern, 1PM Central, 12PM Mountain, 11AM Pacific, 10AM Alaska, 9AM Hawaii
Because the Academy observes Daylight Saving Time, class times will change accordingly in March.
Check the Course Roster (link coming soon) for your assigned group.
Rules of Engagement
- Log in 5-10 minutes early to troubleshoot any technical difficulties.
- Webinars start and end on the hour.
- Sign in with your first and last name, followed by your agency (ex: Jane Smith, BLM).
- Mute your audio when you join the classroom.
- Instructors invite participation by calling on all participants. You may respond or pass the question to another attendee.
Set Yourself Up for Success:
- Eliminate distractions.
- Close your email, turn off notifications.
- Put a “do not disturb” sign on your door.
- The chat box is a “judgment free zone.” Comments with typos and spelling errors are welcome.
- Let the instructor know if you have to be in listening mode due to background noise or other competing interests.
Attending Class in Webex
Accessing Webinar Links:
- Webinar links will be posted on a private page for course participants.
- Weekly email reminders for class will always include a link to this page.
- Participants may subscribe to the webinar group calendar posted on this page.
- For the best experience, log in from your desktop or laptop.
- If you have a VPN, close it before joining.
- If you're logging in from a mobile device, download Cisco Webex Meetings.
- Is WebEx asking for an admin password? Your local firewall is blocking access to the software. Contact your IT Help Desk for assistance. Click on the link to “join by browser" to gain access to the webinar this week.
- Did you select the right link? Sessions are offered at multiple days and times. Choose the link for the day and time you plan to attend.
- We will make every effort to bring you into the classroom. Please call into the webinar so we can help you log in.
- Presentations are posted as PDFs at the Course Notebook so you can download and follow along with audio until technical glitches are resolved.
Tech Test and Orientation - Jan 13 & 14
Hosted by Anne Desmarais and Jane Hanson
Join us for a 1 hour Tech Test on Wednesday and Thursday at:
- 11:00am - 12pm ET
- 2:00 - 3:00pm ET
We'll orient you to the Academy's virtual classroom, practice interactions, and help you troubleshoot any technical difficulties before our first instructional session.
MBN 2021 Course Materials Archive
FAQ is empty.