MBN 2020 Course Notebook
Welcome class of 2020!
The Course Notebook is designed to provide support as you apply knowledge and skills gained in class.
The Academy hosts Managing by Network webinars using a phone conference line and Webex.
Webinar links and passcodes are emailed to Managing by Network participants each Friday, with a reminder the Tuesday before each Session.
Haven't seen your webinar links? Check your spam folder, and add email@example.com to your list of trusted contacts.
We understand that some federal agencies are transitioning technology platforms at this time.
Others may have firewalls in place to prevent malicious activity.
If you are experiencing technical difficulties with email or access to our website please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can help.
Session 1: Charting our Course - January 22 & 23
Pre-Webinar Assignment: Connect with your peers
- Review the Class Roster.
- Identify at least two people in the course who you don't know.
- Connect with them before Session 2.
- Welcome and Rules of Engagement (PDF)
- Introductions: Getting to Know You
- Course Overview (PDF - coming soon)
- The Power of Active Listening (PDF)
Instructors: Liz Madison, Anne Desmarais, and Jane Hanson
On the Horizon:
Session 2: Belay On - January 29 & 30
- Agency Leadership Perspectives on Partnership and Comunity Collaboration
- Seven Faces of Partnership and Philanthropy
Instructors: Liz Madison, Anne Desmarais, and Agency Guest Speakers
Course materials listed with this arrow icon are recommended for self-study when you miss a webinar.
MBN 2020 Course Materials Archive
Presentations: How to Join a Webex Webinar (PDF) Virtual Tour of the Academy Classroom (PDF) Hosts: Anne Desmarais Jane Hanson
Managing by Network 2020 FAQ
Getting Ready for 2020
- Submit your photo using the confirmation form, or send it to email@example.com by January 10, 2020.
- Complete the Individual Training Needs Assessment by January 24, 2020.
- Check the Course Roster to verify your group assignment.
- Block off the Tech Test and all 17 webinar dates on your calendar.
- Webinar links will be sent via email. Add firstname.lastname@example.org to your list of trusted recipients.
- Use the form on the right of this page to let us know of changes to your job title, contact info, or supervisor.
Tips for the Academy Classroom
- Our live webinars rely on your active participation! If you need to, reserve a conference room during webinar times so you can join in.
- Please note that we do not record Academy sessions in order to encourage everyone to speak freely about their work in partnership, without concern about their comments being taken out of context.
What if I can't attend a session?
While participants are assigned to a group day and time for class size and planning purposes, we expect schedule conflicts.
You may attend any one of the four group webinars in any given week, as best suits your schedule.
If you know you will miss a session, please email us. Here are some ways you can catch up:
- Review session materials posted on the Course Notebook; you can receive credit for self-study work.
- Invite a colleague to sit in for you and debrief later.
- Follow up with a peer in the class or with the instructors if you have questions or would like to discuss what we covered in class.
Webinar Groups: Days and Times
Want to know which group you are assigned to?
Check the Course Roster.
Each of the 17 sessions is offered as a live webinar, in seminar sized groups, at four different times.
- ALPHA cohort: 11AM Eastern, 10AM Central, 9AM Mountain, 8AM Pacific, 7AM Alaska, 6AM Hawaii, 5AM Samoa
- BETA cohort: 2PM Eastern, 1PM Central, 12PM Mountain, 11AM Pacific, 10AM Alaska, 9AM Hawaii, 8AM Samoa
- GAMMA cohort: 11AM Eastern, 10AM Central, 9AM Mountain, 8AM Pacific, 7AM Alaska, 6AM Hawaii, 5AM Samoa
- DELTA cohort: 2PM Eastern, 1PM Central, 12PM Mountain, 11AM Pacific, 10AM Alaska, 9AM Hawaii, 8AM Samoa
While participants are assigned to a cohort day and time for class size and planning purposes, we expect schedule conflicts.
Participants may attend any one of the four webinars in any given week, as best suits their schedule.
Because the Academy observes Daylight Saving Time, class times will change accordingly in March.
Webinar Rules of Engagement
- Webinars start on the hour.
- Log in 5-10 minutes early to troubleshoot any technical difficulties.
- Sign in with your first and last name, followed by your agency (ex: Jane Smith, BLM).
- Call into the conference line, we do not use Webex for sound.
- If you need to take a call, hang up and call back in when you are done; do not put our call on hold.
Use of Individual Photos
When you attend a meeting in person, people will naturally see your face. Our virtual classroom is no different.
- Photos facilitate conversations between students and instructors and help everyone get to know you.
- We will ask you to send us a photo before the first session of any course so that we can compile a roster of the whole class.
- Photos will not be used for any other purpose without your written permission.
- If you would prefer to opt out of the photo request, please send us an alternate image to use in the classroom.
How to Join a Webinar
The Academy hosts webinars using a phone conference line and Webex.
Check your email for the weekly session reminder with the Webinar Links webpage and password. Contact us at email@example.com if you need help finding it.
New to Webex?
- Follow these quick instructions to join Managing by Network the first time.
- For more detailed instructions, download How to Join a Webinar (PDF).
1. Join the phone line:
- Conference Line: 866-836-7935
- Conference Passcode: provided in the email announcement
2. Join the Webinar:
- Webinar Link: this is unique for each Session and Group - posted on a private page at the website.
- Webinar Password: provided in your email