MBN 2020 Course Notebook
Welcome class of 2020!
The Course Notebook is designed to provide support as you apply knowledge and skills gained in class.
The Academy hosts Managing by Network webinars using a phone conference line and Webex.
Webinar links and passcodes are emailed to Managing by Network participants each Friday, with a reminder the Tuesday before each Session.
Haven't seen your webinar links via email? Check your spam folder, and add email@example.com to your list of trusted contacts. If you need help, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Study Hall 1 - week of Feb 17-21
Study Hall work is optional and designed to help apply learning. Options include:
- Attend office hours: network with classmates and explore topics of interest. (1. RSVP form)
- Complete self study: catch up on missed sessions, or delve deeper on instructional material. (Session archive below, and 2. Study Hall form)
- Explore homework: use self-assessments and workbook exercises to apply what you have learned. (3. Homework and 4. Homework feedback form)
- Apply on the job. Study hall work is optional!
Special Office Hours in Study Hall 1
This week, we are hosting a special series of agency-specific webinars where you can get to know each other and dialogue with agency coordinators. Times are in Eastern Time Zone.
Weds Feb 19
- USDA FS, Greening Youth Foundation, and AmeriCorps: 11am - 12pm ET ("Alpha")
- NOAA, MT DNRC, Santa Clara County: 12:30 - 1:30pm ET ("Chi")
- USFWS and Eastern Sierra Interpretive Association: 2 - 3pm ET ("Beta")
Thurs Feb 20
- BLM and Delores Watershied Resilient Forest Collaborative: 11am - 12pm ET ("Gamma")
- NPS: 2 - 3 pm ET ("Delta")
Fri Feb 21
- USACE: 1 - 2 pm ET ("Epsilon")
On the Horizon:
Session 5: Cast a Wide Net - Feb 26 & 27
- Successful Partnering: Power Dynamics and Cultural Differences - with Seth Cohen, USACE CPCX
- A Closer Look at FACA
Course materials listed with this arrow icon are recommended for self-study when you miss a webinar.
MBN 2020 Course Materials Archive
Presentations Building Savvy and Resilience in Your Partnership Network (PDF) Community Outreach and Federal Ethics Insights (PDF) Succession Planning (PDF) Optional Homework Political Savvy - Strategies for Adapting to Change THINK of a change facing your...
Presentations: Community Collaboration Toolbox Acts of Persuasion Additional Video Resources: Stakeholder Analysis (5 mins) and Decision Making Space (4 mins), video with Joy Lujan Collaborative Conservation - IAP2 Spectrum of Community Engagement, (11 mins), video...
Presentations: Alpha Group: Steve Guertin, Deputy Director for Policy, USFWS and Richard Minnis, PhD, Chief, Branch of Applied Landscape Conservation Policy, National Conservation Training Center, USFWS USFWS Partnership Overview.pdf USFWS NCTC Division of Training...
Presentations Rules of Engagement (PDF) Managing by Network Course Overview 2020 (PDF) The Power of Active Listening (PDF) Optional Activities and Resources to Explore Review the Class Roster. Identify at least two people in the course who you...
Presentations: How to Join a Webex Webinar (PDF) Virtual Tour of the Academy Classroom (PDF) Hosts: Anne Desmarais Jane Hanson
Managing by Network 2020 FAQ
Getting Ready for 2020
- Submit your photo using the confirmation form, or send it to email@example.com by January 10, 2020.
- Complete the Individual Training Needs Assessment by January 24, 2020.
- Check the Course Roster to verify your group assignment.
- Block off the Tech Test and all 17 webinar dates on your calendar.
- Webinar links will be sent via email. Add firstname.lastname@example.org to your list of trusted recipients.
- Use the form on the right of this page to let us know of changes to your job title, contact info, or supervisor.
Tips for the Academy Classroom
- Our live webinars rely on your active participation! If you need to, reserve a conference room during webinar times so you can join in.
- Please note that we do not record Academy sessions in order to encourage everyone to speak freely about their work in partnership, without concern about their comments being taken out of context.
Webinar Rules of Engagement
- Webinars start on the hour.
- Log in 5-10 minutes early to troubleshoot any technical difficulties.
- Sign in with your first and last name, followed by your agency (ex: Jane Smith, BLM).
- Call into the conference line, we do not use Webex for sound.
- If you need to take a call, hang up and call back in when you are done; do not put our call on hold.
Webinar Groups: Days and Times
Want to know which group you are assigned to?
Check the Course Roster.
Each of the 17 sessions is offered as a live webinar, in seminar sized groups, at four different times.
- ALPHA cohort: 11AM Eastern, 10AM Central, 9AM Mountain, 8AM Pacific, 7AM Alaska, 6AM Hawaii, 5AM Samoa
- BETA cohort: 2PM Eastern, 1PM Central, 12PM Mountain, 11AM Pacific, 10AM Alaska, 9AM Hawaii, 8AM Samoa
- GAMMA cohort: 11AM Eastern, 10AM Central, 9AM Mountain, 8AM Pacific, 7AM Alaska, 6AM Hawaii, 5AM Samoa
- DELTA cohort: 2PM Eastern, 1PM Central, 12PM Mountain, 11AM Pacific, 10AM Alaska, 9AM Hawaii, 8AM Samoa
While participants are assigned to a cohort day and time for class size and planning purposes, we expect schedule conflicts.
Participants may attend any one of the four webinars in any given week, as best suits their schedule.
Because the Academy observes Daylight Saving Time, class times will change accordingly in March.
What if I can't attend a session?
While participants are assigned to a group day and time for class size and planning purposes, we expect schedule conflicts.
You may attend any one of the four group webinars in any given week, as best suits your schedule.
If you know you will miss a session, please email us. Here are some ways you can catch up:
- Review session materials posted on the Course Notebook; you can receive credit for self-study work.
- Invite a colleague to sit in for you and debrief later.
- Follow up with a peer in the class or with the instructors if you have questions or would like to discuss what we covered in class.
Use of Individual Photos
When you attend a meeting in person, people will naturally see your face. Our virtual classroom is no different.
- Photos facilitate conversations between students and instructors and help everyone get to know you.
- We will ask you to send us a photo before the first session of any course so that we can compile a roster of the whole class.
- Photos will not be used for any other purpose without your written permission.
- If you would prefer to opt out of the photo request, please send us an alternate image to use in the classroom.
How to Join a Webinar
The Academy hosts webinars using a phone conference line and Webex.
Check your email for the weekly session reminder with the Webinar Links webpage and password. Contact us at email@example.com if you need help finding it.
New to Webex?
- Follow these quick instructions to join Managing by Network the first time.
- For more detailed instructions, download How to Join a Webinar (PDF).
1. Join the phone line:
- Conference Line: 866-836-7935
- Conference Passcode: provided in the email announcement
2. Join the Webinar:
- Webinar Link: this is unique for each Session and Group - posted on a private page at the website.
- Webinar Password: provided in your email