Getting to the CORE of Conflict and Communications
Session One: Recognize the Signs
Learn the 4 Rs of the conflict resolution process. Understand what makes communication challenging and recognize how our perceptions and assumptions can contribute to conflict.
- CORE-PLUS: Building a Higher Performance Model Workplace with Susan Goodwin, 16 mins
- Perceptions and Assumptions: Monkey Business video, 1:41 mins
- Ladder of Inference video, 4 mins
- Challenging Conversations: Awkward Performance Review video, 2:38 mins
Session Two: Respond With Confidence
Define the sources and types of conflict. Learn about the emotional brain and how to calm ourselves and others. Develop strategies for making the conversation safe and responding with respect.
- Internal, Interpersonal and Group Dynamics in Collaboration with Joy Lujan, 7 mins
- Ladder of Inference Self-Reflection: During the next few days, take note of a moment when you started up the Ladder of Inference. What did you do? Be ready to share your experience.
- Optional: Read "Dealing with Difficult People"
Session Three: Resolve and Reflect
Apply the five conflict strategies to the workplace. Discover how to shift the dialogue from opposing positions to common interests. Learn how to prepare for challenging conversations and negotiations.
- The Story of the Orange with Denis Desmarais, 2 mins
- Listening Self-Reflection: Practice one listening skill from "How Good a Listener Are You?" (Word) (PDF) How did that go? Be ready to share your experience.
- Print, Read and Reflect on your Negotiation Scenario (this will be sent by email after Session 2)
- Optional: Review the Communication Skills Checklist
- Download the E-workbook: GTC3 Participant Notebook 2016.pdf
- For recordings of the webinars, please contact Susan Goodwin, Collaboration and Conflict Management Specialist, DOI Office of Collaborative Action and Dispute Resolution, 703-235-0181, firstname.lastname@example.org
Collaboration and Conflict Management Specialist
DOI Office of Collaborative Action and Dispute Resolution
Assistant Director, Partnership and Community Collaboration Academy
Director, Partnership and Community Collaboration Academy
Community Planner, Collaboration Clinics and RTCA, NPS
Negotiation and Collaboration Consultant-in-Residence
Partnership and Community Collaboration Academy